Orlando VA Medical Center
Veterans Creative Arts Festival on Feb. 16, 2018
2018 Orlando Veterans Creative Arts Festival
We are currently looking for participants in both visual and performing arts (music, drama, creative writing and dance). The Orlando VA Art Competition and Show provide Veterans with an opportunity to be acknowledged for their artistic talents and skills. As we get closer to the event we will provide bios of the judges participating and information about the event itself. For now, please see below for more details on how to participate and to access the link to pre-register as a participant.
Rules and Guidelines
* To qualify for entry, the artist must be enrolled at a VA Medical Center or Outpatient Clinic BEFORE entering the local competition.
* All art must have been created after 4/1/2017 except for Military Combat Experience entries.
* The VA facility staff and judges have the right to change an entry’s category as needed.
* The VA facility reserved the right to withhold entries from public viewing as needed.
* Working GUNS, KNIVES, or other WEAPONS will NOT be accepted due to VA regulations banning these items from VA facilities.
* A Veteran can enter up to three ART categories, but ONLY one entry per category per Veteran.
* A Veteran can enter only ONE entry per performing arts category.
* It is recommended that hanging art is mounted, framed, and ready for display.
Judges for the competition are form the area’s performing arts community. Judges have the right to change the category of the entry if they deem it to be misplaced.
All possible care will be taken in handling objects submitted for judging. However, the VA facility cannot assume responsibility for any loss or damage should they be incurred during these procedures.
Registration for Performing Arts entries begins November 6th and ends January 11, 2018.
Registration for all Visual Art entries begins November 6th and ends January 29, 2018.
For any questions, comments, or concerns please contact Jenny Danieli at vhaorlVeteransCreativeArtFestival@va.gov or 407-631-7110.
Veterans Fine Arts, Applied Arts and Crafts Competition (Visual Arts) Categories
All artwork must be submitted on February 12th, 13th, or 14th.
Local first place entries in each art category will have the opportunity to compete in the 2018 National Art Competition. Entries for the National Art Competition will be submitted as digital images of the art piece.
Applied Arts and Fine Arts
* Acrylic Painting * Oil Painting
* Colored Drawing * Watercolor
* Fiber Arts (original design) * Graphics
* Military Combat Exp. * Pottery
* Jewelry (no beads) * Collage
* Applied Arts Mixed Media * Metalwork
* Needlework (original design) * Group Art
* Glazed Ceramics * Beadwork
* Crocheting/Knitting * Assemblage
* Monochromatic Drawing * Carving
* Color Photography * Pastels
* B & W Photography * Mosaic
* Fine Art Mixed Media * Knotting
* Leather Sampling * Glasswork
* Painted or Stained Ceramics * Digital Art
* Pyrography (original design) * Sculpture
* Leather Carving/Tooling * Woodworking
* Scroll Saw/Fretwork Sculpture
* Transfer/Engraving Art Kits * Needlework
* Wood Building * Craft Coloring Kits
* Fabric Art * Latch Hook
* Paint by Number * Figurine Painting
* String Art * Mosaic
* Suncatcher or Sand Art * Combined
* Leather * Model Building (Plastic, Wood, or Metal)
A panel of judges from the local art community will use the following criteria:
* Creativity * Skill * Originality * Total Presentation
Creative Writing, Dance, Drama & Music Competition (Performing Arts) Categories
Entries in these divisions, with the exception of creative writing, will need to be recorded before the Orlando Festival. A recording date (Nov. 14th, Dec. 13th, or Jan. 11th) can be requested when registering for the event. Event coordinators will follow up to schedule the time.
First place entries from the local competition will have the opportunity to submit a video recording of their entry to the National level of competition.
* Poetry * Essay
* Short Story * Personal Experience Short
* Monologue/Duologue * Special Recognition
* Solo & Group * Ambulatory and Wheelchair
* Structured, Novelty * Country Line Dancing
* Folk/Ethnic/Cultural * Interpretive Dance
* Tap, Jazz, Ballet * Inspirational, Freestyle
* Senior * Special Recognition
* Comedy * Solo and Group Original & Existing Works
* Prose & Poetry * Interpretive Performance
* Mime, Juggling, Magic * Puppetry/Ventriloquism
* Multimedia Video * Senior and Special Recognition
* Solo or Group * Instrumental and Vocal
* Original Compositions * Senior and Special Recognition
Judges will use the following criteria as applicable to the specific category entered:
Creative Writing – Creative content, message clarity, use of language, originality, and overall strength.
Dance – Stage presence (grace, style, rapport, with audience), rhythm, technique, patterns (feet or chair), creativity, and interpretation of music.
Drama – Stage presence (style, rapport with audience), creativity, expressiveness (articulation of speech), interpretation of work, consistency of theme, and pacing (team work and line flow)
Music – Intonation, rhythm, stage presence, interpretation, blend and cohesiveness (if group), melody line, style, and lyrics (if vocal)
Click HERE to fill out the Participant Pre-Registration Form