About the Program
Social Work at the Orlando VA Medical Center is an integral part of health care. We help Veterans and their families with problems associated with the stress of an illness and assist them with meeting their aftercare needs following hospitalization. Social Work Service provides a wide range of clinical and administrative services throughout the Orlando VA Medical Center facilities. Social workers provide counseling, patient education, and case management in a variety of outpatient, inpatient programs and community based programs. Professional social workers are also available for consultation and crisis intervention.
Social Work Service manages the Community Nursing Home Program, Home Maker/ Home Health Aide Program, Community Adult Day Care Program, the Caregiver Program, Spinal Cord Injury Program, Women Veterans Program, Visual Impairment Services/Blind Rehabilitation Services, Former POW Advocate Program, Palliative Care Program, medical Foster Home Program and the OEF/OIF/OND Program for returning service members.
An active affiliation with the University of Central Florida School of Social Work provides excellent opportunities for VA staff to interface with graduate students in the profession.
The scope of services offered by Social Work Service includes:
- information, resource information and referral
- discharge planning
- financial assistance referrals
- assistance with nursing home placement
- transportation assistance
- home health services
- housing and community living assistance
- social assessment, intervention, and aftercare services
referral for physical, psychological and/or sexual abuse
- combat Veteran services
- psychosocial assessment
- assistance to Veterans and family members who want to prepare Advance Directives
- counseling for Veterans needing assistance with interpersonal relationships and social activities
- counseling for to help Veterans and their families understand and adjust to an illness or disability
to help Veterans and their families cope with terminal illness
- Lake Nona Clinic 3J
Hours of Operation
- M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm